Monday, June 30, 2008

Tonsils and Adenoids are GONE!

To make a long story short, we have had an appointment with an ENT in Nashville for over 3 months.  They wanted to do a sleep study and I was 9 months pregnant at the time and we just couldn't get there.  My mom suggested we just take Will to the Dr. that took out my tonsils and who is a friend of my mom's.  He saw Will on Thursday and said that Will's tonsils were huge and touching.  We have had issues with his sleeping and a few tonsil infections along with strep. He said we could wait but he could also fit us into the schedule on Monday.  We had to make a quick decision and decided it would be best to just go ahead and get it over with.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Will was so hungry this morning and that was the hardest part before the surgery.  They gave him something called Versed which calmed him down alot.  It was sad b/c he was just stumbling around.  My mom is a CRNA at the hospital so he got a little extra TLC from the Anesthesiologist.  They gave him lots of toys and let him walk around all around before his surgery.  They also gave him a little Dr. hat and mask to play with.  When they called us back to recovery, I could hear Will crying really hard and he was inconsolable.  It really shook me up.  He was trying to rip his IV out of his arm.  He was okay after we gave him a popsicle and he ended up eating three and drinking lots of Sprite.  I thought he would sleep all day but he only slept about an hour.  He has been a daddy's boy today!  Len really has a way with him and was the only one who was able to calm him down.  We are doing okay.  Will is refusing to take his pain medicine and we have to hold him down and he tries to spit it out.  Please say a little prayer that tomorrow will be better on my poor little guy.  His voice is the cutest little raspy sound.

Before the surgery with Sue Sue (my mom)
Len and Will showing their matching bracelets and Will's hospital gown.
Here is the hat that Dr. Ware gave him.  He was a God send!
The whole family in the recovery room.  Will could barely keep his eyes open but he continued to eat popsicles.  
Still trying to eat his popsicle.  He was SO hungry.
Finally asleep with daddy.  I have to say that I am so lucky to have a husband that cares so much for his children.  He is so dedicated to being a good father and spending time with Will and our family.  He would rather be with us than anywhere else and I'm so thankful for that.  He has such a special bond with Will and he knows how to calm him down when he is upset.
This was later this afternoon.  I was able to get away to Target and get him an Icee.  Dr. Ware gave him this green football wristband and he still has it on.  He is sleeping soundly right now, but I am not!  I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to wake him up when it's time for his medicine.  I'm also very anxious about what the morning will be like.

3 comments:

Adcock Circus said...

We are so proud of you Will! Such a brave boy!Keep eatimg lots of popsicles Love - G-D&T

The Byrd Family said...

So glad to hear that all went well today! I know you all are so glad that is over with! Keep us updated and give Will a hug for us!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an adventure you have been through, I just now read about Will's surgery and now that he won't take his pain medicine. I have the same problem with Rylee, she WILL NOT take medicine. I feel for you! Just keep trying!!

Dee